Tappi has recognized eleven outstanding professionals for their contributions to TAPPI and to the pulp, paper, and packaging industries by awarding them the designation of Tappi Fellow. Tappi Fellow is an honorary title bestowed upon less than three percent of Tappi’s membership, and is given to individuals who have made extraordinary technical or service contributions to the industry and/or the Association. The Fellows program was established in 1968, and the roster of TAPPI Fellows includes many of the industry’s most influential leaders.
For 2008, TAPPI’s eleven new Fellows are:
• Joseph A. Barsin, principal of Technocrats-Inc., a consultancy based in Charlotte, N.C.
• Katherine Buckman Gibson*, Chairman of the Board of Bulab Holdings Inc.
• John H. Cameron, Professor in the Dept. of Paper Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Imaging at Western Mich. Univ.
• Charles E. Courchene, Senior Research Engineer at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, GA
• Charles E. Hodges*, President, the Hodges Group Inc.
• W. Densmore Hunter*, Vice President of Technology for Weyerhaeuser Company
• Asko Hyttinen*, Senior Vice President of Group Operations Improvement for Stora Enso International
• William (Bill) M. Jernigan, Senior Manager, Environmental Compliance for Georgia-Pacific Corp.
• Robert E. Johnston, Professor Emeritus in the Dept. of Chemical Engineering at Monash University, Australia
• Kasy King, principal of Papermaking Process Consulting in Appleton, WI
• Gerard J. F. Ring*, Chair of the Dept. of Paper Science and Engineering at the Univ. of Wisconsin, Stevens Point
* Denotes retiring member of TAPPI Board of Directors
Tapppi is the leading association for the worldwide pulp, paper, and converting industries and is headquartered in Norcross, GA, USA. TAPPI’s membership is the largest international group of technically experienced people in the industry.